Sunday, 4 August 2013

The cheese making process

1) Add live yoghurt to some milk and leave overnight at room temperature, it turns the whole lot into yoghurt. This is to lower the pH (make more acidic) and helps the rennet.

2) Next day, add the rennet, and heat the milk to 30ºC. Leave it for between 1 and 3 hours and it will look like this. The rennet that I got from Greece is like salt and the amount that is required is minuscule, literally one small pinch.
3) Slice the milk with a knife to form squares. 
4) Stir it up to break up the squares. Then heat it to between 34ºC and 39ºC. I got it to 36.5ºC. Then stir it up and it forms the consistency of scrambled eggs.
 5) Stick it in a sieve to get rid of the liquid, or whey as we cheese makers refer to it.
 6) Mix salt into the curds. Then put the curds into a nylon sock (perhaps you know already but I use these for making bouquet garni).
7) Devise some method of pressing the cheese. I need to work on this! I have plans (in my head) for a press with bolts that can be tightened like a flower press but larger.
PS this where I got my instructions from LINK
PS2 I did all the heating in the microwave.
PS3 I have saved the whey and am going to make RICOTTA