Thursday, 25 July 2013

Cheese making

I have the magic substance to make cheese. In that little pot is about a level teaspoon of a white powder that looks like salt. From what I can work out I need to add a small pinch to 5 litres of milk and leave it overnight.
I guess that it is an enzyme but I don't know, I'll have to Google it when I get home and I have a proper internet connection, it's too difficult on the phone.
From what I could understand from the old woman you can save some of the liquid and use it to make the next batch so it must reproduce.
The basket is to squeeze the resulting solids (curds?). There were some baskets made from what looked like very thick grass in the shop but I didn't think I would manage to get one of those home.
I've also bought a cheese which is triple wrapped in my rucksack because it's a bit smelly.